The Light of Asia by Jairam Ramesh PDF: Hello guys in this article we will provide you the latest book of Jairam Ramesh The Light of Asia PDF eBook in English. You can easily download this book from the end of the article.
The Light of Asia by Jairam Ramesh PDF Summary:
This biography is of an epic poem written in blank verse’ and first published in London in July 1879. On its release, it immediately took England by storm, and soon thereafter America and Europe too were stirred by it.
The epidemic of exuberance for it would spread to other parts of the world and last a few decades. The book captivated an Indian monk who remains an iconic personality-Swami Vivekananda. At about the same time, it deeply moved a young man in Colombo who has become famous in history as Anagarika Dharmapala.
It caught the attention of an aspiring Indian lawyer in London in 1889. This man later became immortal as Mahatma Gandhi. A few years hence it impacted a teenager in Allahabad who would, in 1947, become the first Prime Minister of India-Jawaharlal Nehru.
Two copies of the book adorned the bookshelves of B.R. Ambedkar, the prime architect of the Indian constitution. It informed the work of men who were active in the movement for social justice, especially in south India in the early part of the twentieth century.
The book had a marked influence on at least eleven literary personalities from across the world. Five of them were Nobel Laureates: Rudyard Kipling in 1907, Rabindranath Tagore in 1913, W.B. Yeats in 1923, Ivan Bunin in 1933, and T.S. Eliot in 1948.
The other six are legendary figures: Herman Melville, Leo Tolstoy, Lafcadio Hearn, D.H. Lawrence, John Masefield, and Jose Luis Borges. It opened new frontiers for Joseph Campbell later to become one of the world’s leading authorities on comparative mythology.
Contents of The Light of Asia The Poem that Defined the Buddha PDF
SECTION – I
- 1832-1857: The Pre-Poona Edwin Arnold
- 1857-1860: Edwin Armold in Poona
- 1860-1876: Edwin Arnold Back in London: Empire Author, Imperial Journalist, Oriental Poet
SECTION – II
- 1879: The Light of.Asia
- 1880-1885: Basking in the Glory of The Light of Asia
- 1881-1895: Attacks on The Light of Asia
- 1885 and Beyond: The Song Celestial and Mahatma Gandhi
- 1885-1886: Edwin Arnold in India and Ceylon
- 1886 and Beyond: Edwin Amold and the Buddha-Gya Temple Campaign He Launched
- 1881-1900: Translations of The Light of Asia
- 1889-1895: Edwin Arnold in America and Japan, The Light of the World and Sri Aurobindo
- 1890-1900: Translations of The Light of Asia, More Works and Swami Vivekananda
- 1900-1910: Sir Edwin Armold’s Final Years and the Continuing Appeal of The Light of Asia
SECTION – III
- The 1910s: Translations of The Light of Asia in South India, Rabindranath Tagore, Channing Arnold, and More
- The 1920s: The Light of Asia in Hindi, Film, and More
- The 1930s: Sir Edwin Arnold’s Birth Centenary and More Translations of The Light of Asia
- The 1940s: The Light of Asia in Tamil and Kannada, Hollywood and More
- The 1950s: Bodh Gaya Temple, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, Sir Edwin’s biography, and More
- The 1960s and 1970s: Continuing Academic Studies on The Light of Asia and Recollections in India and Sri Lanka
- The 1980s and 1990s: Art Exhibitions, Victorian Buddhism Examined and Post-Colonial Analysis of The Light of Asia
- The 21st Century: Keeping The Light of Asia Burning Bright
SECTION – IV
- A Curious Case of Sir Edwin Arnold and the Lall-Vakh Translations in Kashmir
- Coda: The Discovery of Edwin Arnold’s Great Grandchildren in Bhopal and Elsewhere
- A Final Word
- A Note of Thanks
Details About The Light of Asia by Jairam Ramesh PDF
|Book Name:||The Light of Asia: The Poem that Defined the Buddha|
|Release date:||7 June 2021|
About the Author:
Jairam Ramesh, a Rajya Sabha MP, was Union minister between 2006 and 2014, holding several key portfolios including environment and forests. He is the author of several well-known books including Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature and Intertwined Lives: P.N. Haksar and Indira Gandhi. His last book, A Chequered Brilliance: The Many Lives of V.K. Krishna Menon won the Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay NIF Book Prize 2020.
The Light of Asia by Jairam Ramesh PDF Free Download
Currently, the Pdf version of this book is not available on the internet because of copyright material & violation. You can easily purchase this book from the link given below.